I have been wanting to create and maintain a blog for a while – so finally, here it is!
I am aiming to post a quick update at least three times a week – let’s see how that goes.
A bit about me: I live in Hertfordshire, UK. I work as a Digital Marketing Manager in London. I’m currently training as a Web Developer Apprentice (more details on this will follow on my other, dedicated blog – clairescoding.co.uk). I enjoy video games, and help write for a friend’s gaming news site, Big Boss Battle. I also enjoy reading and going to gigs – Amanda Palmer is my favourite artist. And almost my entire wardrobe is from BlackMilk, a quirky nylon brand – they’ve been around since 2009, and all of their clothes are printed and sewn in Australia.
This blog will be about various things – mostly days out, photos i’ve taken, books I’ve read, and my personal challenge to lose some weight and gain some pounds (of the financial kind).
I enjoy visiting historical sites and other places of interest, so expect lots of photos of castles. I enjoy reading fantasy – anything with magic and dragons is usually of interest. And, finally – I am aiming to save money over the next year by only spending money on things I ‘need’ rather than wasting money on frivolous material things. I spend far too much money on books (when I have hundreds already), on clothes (when I have a full wardrobe) and video games (when my Steam library is full). I live in a privileged life of excessive ‘things’ and I’d like to focus more on spending money on creating memories, and save for a holiday abroad next year.
But I have set some rules, which may change over time.
Things I am still going to be spending money on:
- Make up – but only replacing what I have when it runs out (I wear make up to work and when going out, so for me this is a ‘need’)
- Christmas gifts and birthday presents – but I am going to set stricter budgets, especially for Christmas this year
- Patreon – I currently back Amanda Palmer’s Patreon and I want to continue to do that!
- Some hobbies – Amazon Prime (£70 for the year), Netflix (£6 a month – I have the standard plan), Elder Scrolls Online (£20 every quarter)
- Essentials, like toilet rolls and shampoo and the train fare to work, and my car (and other car related things like insurance and fuel).
Things I won’t be spending money on:
- My beloved BlackMilk! This will be the hardest for sure… This is where most of my money goes, between the site, the selling groups and customs charges from international packages
- Books – even ‘just that cheap £1 eBook on Amazon’.
- Russian lashes – I have been having false lashes for two years and I love them, and I think my eyes look odd with just mascara, but I just can’t justify spending £50 every 3 weeks on these anymore.
If I do get gift vouchers, that’s fine to spend (of course). Book vouchers I plan to use to buy further books in a series, if I am partway through – but otherwise I’ll have to wait! (That really will be tough.)
My goal is to save for a holiday abroad. I don’t have a passport at the moment, it expired six years ago. It would be great to use the money I save from this for a break! I would love to go to Australia, but with the current £:$ exchange rate I am going to aim for a week away in Europe instead. So, location TBC.
This is going to be quite hard for me – but I am determined to do it!